Unless you’re well-versed in the world of metal building construction, buying a steel building can be intimidating. Better understanding the steel construction industry can equip you to pick the right building to meet your needs – without breaking your budget.
Common uses for steel buildings
How do you know if a steel building is the right choice for your operation? Consider some of these popular uses for metal structures:
- Airplane hangars
- Self-storage facilities
- Horse riding arenas
- Recreational buildings
- Agricultural buildings
- Commercial offices
- Auto repair shops
A metal building may be right up your alley if you’re looking for a low-cost construction solution that is also friendly to the environment. Metal buildings are rising in popularity because of their strength and durability; steel as a building material is 100% recyclable.
Top 10 questions for steel building purchasers
Now that you understand the multipurpose use of metal construction, it’s time to put your money where your mouth is.
You can use these helpful questions to screen potential steel building suppliers before making a final investment:
- What does a steel building purchase include? A quality supplier will offer all engineered components within a metal building, including primary and secondary structural steel, framing, and trim.
- How long will building design take? A prefabricated steel structure may be ready to go with no design necessary; more complex metal buildings will require longer design times before delivery and construction.
- Do you have a delivery guarantee? Since steel buildings boast speedy construction time, many suppliers offer as little as a 30 day delivery guarantee from design to production.
- Do I need a building permit? A metal building over 120 ft.² in area will likely require a local building permit prior to construction.
- Am I responsible for unloading? Depending on the delivery package, unloading after delivery may fall on your shoulders; if so, make certain that you have necessary forklift equipment available to safely unload steel materials from the truck.
- Are there additional delivery costs? Look for a supplier that will ship all metal building components at once to cut down on unnecessary delivery fees; shipping costs may be lumped in with some price quotes.
- Is insulation included? For the majority of metal buildings, including storage facilities, insulation is recommended to regulate temperature and protect valuables; ask if insulation is included in a price quote or if extra charges apply.
- Will my metal building come painted? A steel building should come with wall and trim paint upon delivery; factory-applied paint is recommended for durability in all-weather conditions.
- Do you offer a warranty? Metal panels may come with a 20 year warranty, as well as a 25 year limited paint warranty on painted panels; select suppliers advertise an impressive 50 year structural warranty with a 40 year paint warranty.
- Do you offer financing? Many suppliers have in-house financing or can refer you to a finance partner for a loan to fund a large purchase.
With these probing questions in your arsenal, you can quickly find out what you need to know to purchase the right metal building for your business. Use these questions along with basic building specs when gathering a price quote. Most suppliers will require building measurements, roof slope, building use, and location in order to provide a free price quote.
Last but not least, don’t forget to cover your bases by checking that any supplier you work with is AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) certified and a member of the MBMA (Metal Building Manufacturer’s Association).